Friday, March 12, 2010

Real upset tonight - don't ring us

I'm really kinda upset right now. The whole family is kinda in shock, a kinda daze - a depressed and hopeless fog if you like. No one knows what to say to each other, we are all too upset. I've cried, the kids have cried, Gavo's cried. Basically what's happened is we've lost our eski. We had it in the back of the ute and went to the fish and chip shop for a family bag of chips coz for $10 they give you a massive bag with chicken salt which is enough for all of us for dinner. For an extra $5 they usually give you 7 potato cakes. Really, they should only give you 6, the sign on the wall says "6 potato cakes: $5" but the chinese woman behind the counter always gives us 7, so we don't roll her when we see her at the station coz that's real nice of her. Anyway, we usually get the potato cakes but we didn't tonight. The point is, we're in the fish and chip shop, sitting on the white plastic chairs, the kids slapping each other on the head, the older ones whipping each others' legs with jelly snakes stolen from the lolly jar, burning each other on the face with their lighters, when Gavo says, I might go have a ciggie. So he goes outside, finds a half smoked one on the ground and finishes it off and he looks at the ute and realises the fucking back is down. Yeah, I kid you not, the fucking back of the ute is down and the fucking eski is gone. The fuckdest thing is, as we rounded a corner in Mulgoa Rd, I heard a bang right and I'd fucking said to him, Gavo, pull over cunt, I heard a bang, you might've run over something. He goes to me, fuck it, if I run over it its probably dead. I said nah, it sounds like something big. He goes, well fuck it, cunts shouldn't be leaving shit on the road, serves em fucking right. I said righto then, go on. So when he saw the back of the ute down he fuckin lost it. He comes running in, going the eski is gone, the eski is gone. I knew right then the eski must have fallen out in the middle of fucking Mulgoa road and coz he's such a dickhead he didn't go back for it. So we get our chips but by that time the kids are crying coz they realise we had two cartons of VB in there and they have a real hard time getting to sleep without their VB. So the kids are crying, Gavo's chucking a shit, there's chaos. We drive back to Mulgoa road but the fucking eski is gone. Just gone. Not a fucking trace. Gavo was so pissed off he did a burnout at every set of lights all the way home. I said to him, why are you givin the kids a treat when you're pissed off? You never give ME shit when you're pissed off.
Anyway, the whole way home I'm looking at the side of the road, just fuckin praying for the eski to turn up, but it doesn't. It just doesn't.
This was an hour ago now and we are still sitting here in a stunned silence. I mean, not real silence coz the telly's on and we're watching Today Tonight coz they're roadtesting chicken nuggets but none of us are talking. Don't know if we ever will again. I mean, how can you be ok after something like this. Whoever said tragedy brings people together - they obviously never lost their eski.

No comments:

Post a Comment